250cc : Jerez IRTA test
The first day of the MotoGP official test at Jerez kicked off yesterday, with the 250cc teams the first to take to the track this week.
In a change to the traditional schedule, in which the 125cc field make the opening appearance on track,
the quarter litre outfits will be in action today and tomorrow at the Spanish circuit.
Héctor Barbera drew first blood on day one, topping the timesheets with a time of 1'43''451. On his final lap, the Spaniard was just under two tenths of a second off Jorge Lorenzo's pole position time for last year's race, with the World Champion himself finishing second fastest.
Lorenzo was less than a tenth of a second slower than his former factory Aprilia team-mate, who now rides for Team Toth.
2006 World Championship runner-up Andrea Dovizioso was the third of three riders to go round in under 1'44, in much better conditions that that which he found himself in last week at Valencia. Coming back from a bout of flu, the Humangest Honda rider was closely followed by Alex de Angelis as the two continued to shape up for a title challenge this season.
Of the talented riders moving up from 125cc in 2007, Thomas Luthi has been one of the big success stories during preseason. The Swiss rider was on form again, under half a second off Barbera's hot lap.
For Julian Simon, the gods seem to be conspiring to prevent his appearance for Repsol Honda in a 250cc race. Having last year suffered an injury when penciled in to replace the retiring Sebas Porto, now the Spaniard has experienced another setback as a result of a crash at today's test.
Simon was trapped under his bike on turn four, suffering a dislocated shoulder which led to an afternoon spent in the Clinica Mobile. He will fly to Barcelona tomorrow morning to see Dr Xavier Mir at the Clinica Dexeus. Prior to this, the Honda Factory man had been looking good, completing the top six ahead of team-mate Shuhei Aoyama.
Alvaro Bautista, Marco Simoncelli and Hiroshi Aoyama rounded off the top ten, with the latter undertaking the most laps of any rider today.
Anthony West finally had a chance to ride his new near-factory Aprilia. The Australian had been scheduled to make his debut for Team Sicilia two weeks ago at Catalunya, but instead had to wait until today to start the latest chapter in his intriguing career.
250cc Official test – Jerez – Day One – Official times :
1. Hector Barbera (Team Toth Aprilia) - 1'43.451
2. Jorge Lorenzo (Fortuna Aprilia) - 1'43.525
3. Andrea Dovizioso (Humangest Racing Team) - 1'43.848
4. Alex De Angelis (Master - MVA Aspar) - 1'44.001
5.Thomas Lüthi (Emmi Caffe Latte) - 1'44.038
6. Julian Simon (Repsol Honda) - 1'44.282
7. Shuhei Aoyama (Repsol Honda) - 1'44.321
8. Alvaro Bautista (Master - MVA Aspar) - 1'44.379
9. Marco Simoncelli (Squadra Corse Metis Gilera) - 1'44.544
10. Hiroshi Aoyama (Red Bull KTM) - 1'44.692
11. Roberto Locatelli (Squadra Corse Metis Gilera) - 1'44.713
12. Alex Debon (Fortuna Aprilia) - 1'44.934
13. Mika Kallio (Red Bull KTM) - 1'45.144
14. Fabrizio Lai (Campetella Racing) - 1'45.595
15. Anthony West (Team Sicilia) - 1'45.875
16. Imre Toth (Team Toth Aprilia) - 1'45.920
17. Yuki Takahashi (Humangest Racing Team) - 1'45.992
18. Aleix Espargaro (Blusens Aprilia) - 1'45.997
19. Dirk Heidolf (Kiefer - Bos - Sotin Racing) - 1'46.525
20. Alex Baldolini (Kiefer - Bos - Sotin Racing) - 1'46.700
21. Arturo Tizon (Blusens Aprilia Germany) - 1'46.781
22. Karel Abraham (Cardion AB Motoracing) - 1'47.137
23. Ratthapark Wilairot (Thai Honda PTT-SAG) - 1'47.199
24. Jules Cluzel (Angaia Racing) - 1'47.235
25. Eugene Laverty (Honda LCR) - HONDA 1'47.768
26. Taro Sekiguchi (Campetella Racing) - 1'48.130
DORNA / CAPSIS International