Pedrosa tops the timesheets in the 2nd day of 800cc testing
The second day of 800cc testing took place today at the Ricardo Tormo Circuit in Valencia, with the teams yet to try wet weather settings due to the blessing of the cloudy skies holding out.
There have been
a few interesting developments as the teams carry out yet more work on their 2007 prototypes. Rizla Suzuki have been the most active team at the test, in John Hopkins and Chris Vermeulen's debut run-out with the GSV-R 800cc. Alongside test rider Nobuatsu Aoki, the two have been putting in fast times on a bike which has only changed it's engine, leaving the chassis the same.
As predicted, the drop in engine capacity has favoured Dani Pedrosa early on. The Spaniard continues to set fast time with the smaller bike, whilst team-mate and World Champion Nicky Hayden's input was carefully heard out by the mechanics every time he returned to the garage.
Garry McCoy, who has raced the Ilmor twice already, is taking a back seat for the test, although he is watching the progress of testing riders Jeremy McWilliams and Andrew Pitt closely from the pit wall. With Pramac d'Antin confirming Alex Hofmann's contract renovation for 2007, the Ilmor seats are the only ones currently up for grabs, and they will be subject of much speculation in the coming weeks.
In the 250cc tests, every rider save Alex de Angelis has taken to the track.
Valencia MotoGP – 02/11/06: (unofficial lap times)
1. Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda 800) 1'32.66 (67 laps)
2. Chris Vermeulen (Rizla Suzuki 800) 1'32.69 (88 laps)
3. John Hopkins (Rizla Suzuki 800) 1'32.95 (50 laps)
4. Casey Stoner (Ducati Marlboro 800) 1'33.96 (68 laps)
5. Loris Capirossi (Marlboro Ducati 800) 1'33.02 (75 laps)
Nicky Hayden (Repsol Honda 800) 1'33.03 (73 laps)
7. Alex Barros (dAntin Ducati 990) 1'33.40 (60 laps)
8. Valentino Rossi (Camel Yamaha 800) 1'33.78 (59 laps)
9. Jeremy McWilliams (Ilmor SRT 800) 1'35.90 (31 laps)
10. Andrew Pitt (Ilmor SRT 800) 1'36.40 (45 laps)
11. Nobuatsu Aoki (Rizla Suzuki 800) 1'37.30 (23 laps)
Valencia 250cc – 02/11/06: (unofficial lap times)
1. Hiroshi Aoyama (KTM) 1'35.9 (84 laps)
2. Álex Debon (Aprilia) 1'36.3 (61 laps)
3. Mika Kallio (KTM) 1'36.3 73 (laps)
4. Thomas Lüthi (Aprilia) 1'36.4 (52 laps)
5. Andrea Dovizioso (Honda) 1'36.6 (64 laps)
6. Álvaro Bautista (Aprilia) 1'36.8 (71 laps)
7. Karel Abraham (Aprilia) 1'38.0 (34 laps)
8. Pablo Nieto (Honda) 1'38.0 (35 laps)
10. Imre Toth (Aprilia) 1'38.0 (53 laps)
DORNA / CAPSIS International