“That's the best the bike has ever been”
Team Roberts arrived at Motegi with the first of the New Generation' frames for the KR. The new machine was built in time for Friday morning practice.
However, testing during a race weekend is very rarely successful and team
rider Kenny Roberts Jnr struggled to find the necessary balance required for the super grippy surface at the Japanese circuit. Kenny improved the handling characteristics of the machine throughout practice for the main event and took ninth place in the race.
Today with five hours track time the team the new chassis performed up to design expectations and their day ended with Kenny reeling off a series off fast laps under his best race lap time, the best at 1m 47.57s.
Kenny Roberts Jnr (KR211V: 1m 47.57s – 63 laps)
"That's the best the bike has ever been, it's the most rider friendly tractable bike the team have built for me. With this chassis we have been able to use a new suspension set up that has given the bike a better balance. We have also changed the power curve and some things on the brakes, the changes have helped give the machine the kind of rear wheel grip we need on circuits like Motegi and Sepang."
Motegi : 1st day of tests – 25/09/06 (unoficcial laptimes)
1. Colin Edwards (Camel Yamaha) - 1'46.68 (56 giri)
Sete Gibernau (Ducati Marlboro) - 1'47.41 (37)
3. Kenny Roberts Jr. (Team Roberts) - 1'47.64 (48)
4. Nicky Hayden (Repsol Honda) - 1'47.70 (54)
5. Loris Capirossi (Marlboro Ducati) - 1'47.89 (35)
6. Kousuke Akiyoshi (Suzuki) - 1'47.89 (31)
7. Dani Pedrosa (Repsol Honda) - 1'48.24 (30)
8. Tady Okada (HRC) - 1'48.43 – 50
9. Valentino Rossi (Camel Yamaha) - 1'48.58 (41)
10. Nobuatsu Aoki (Suzuki) - 1'50.48 (23)
Press Release HRC