Marco Simoncelli won the Portuguese GP on Sunday afternoon, at Estoril.
The Metis Gilera rider took the lead in the fourth lap and never looked back, eventually crossing the finish line five seconds ahead of Hιctor Barbera and Mike di Meglio.
The duo took the chequered
flag simultaneously, causing a bit of confusion. Second place was awarded to the Aspar Aprilia rider, courtesy of a better fastest lap time'.
Championship leader Hiroshi Aoyama came home in fourth position. The Japanese was unable to follow the pace set by the leaders and rode a conservative race to score some valuable points for the championship. This result was not really satisfying for the Scot Honda rider even if he still increased his lead over Alvaro Bautista who crashed out of the race on lap 5.
Estoril 250cc race classification :
1. M.Simoncelli Metis Gilera
2. M.Di Meglio Mapfre Aspar Aprilia
3. H.Barbera Pepe World Aprilia
4. H.Aoyama Scot Honda
5. J.Cluzel Matteoni Aprilia
6. R.Wilairot Thai Honda PTT SAG
7. T.Luthi Emmi Caffe Latte Aprilia
8. M.Pasini Globalgest Aprilia
Debon Aeropuerto Castello Blusens Aprilia
10. K.Abraham Cardion AB Motoracing Aprilia
11. L.Pesek Auto Kelly CP Aprilia
12. S.Aoyama Racing Team Germany Honda
13. V.Debise CIP Moto Honda
14. A.Baldolini WTR San Marino Aprilia
15. A.Pons Pepe World Aprilia