Jerez : 250&125cc test
The lower cylinder classes concluded their opening combined test of the 2008 preseason at Jerez this afternoon, with yesterday's session a virtual write-off due to rain at the Spanish circuit.
Mika Kallio was one of the first riders on track,
on a day when activity picked up at around midday with the drying out of the Jerez circuit. He clocked the fastest time of the day onboard his 250cc KTM, carrying over his fine form from his last outing with the bike at Valencia.
His 1'44.213 lap of the track was more than a tenth of a second faster than that of closest rival Alvaro Bautista, who opened the week with a nasty crash onboard his 2008 Aprilia.
Two of Bautista's ex-colleagues in the 125cc Aspar team also impressed in their second run with next season's 250cc machinery, as Hector Faubel and Polaris World's Mattia Pasini completed the day within a second of Kallio.
In the 125cc class, Sergio Gadea was the fastest rider of the day. The Spaniard was riding at his home circuit for his first test on a newer Aprilia bike, and took to the task well with a 1'47.782 lap of the track.
New Polaris World rider Bradley Smith had his first extended session on the Aprilia formerly used by Pasini in the 125cc class, and was just two tenths off Gadea's quickest lap.
Jerez Test: Day 3 - unofficial lap times
1. Mika Kallio - Red Bull KTM 1'44.213
2. Álvaro Bautista - Team Aspar 1'44.380
3. Hector Faubel - Team Aspar 1'44.604
4. Mattia Pasini - Polaris World 1'44.791
5. Julian Simon - Repsol KTM 1'44.999
6. Hector Barbera - Team Toth 1'45.124
7. Hiroshi Aoyama - Red Bull KTM 1'45.135
8. Lukas Pesek - Caffe Latte 1'45.
9. Thomas Lüthi - Caffe Latte 1'45.270
10. Roberto Locatelli - Gilera 1'45.497
11. Karel Abraham - Cardion AB 1'45.530
12. Imre Toth - Team Toth 1'46.249
13. Manuel Poggiali - Campetella Racing 1'46.359
14. Alex Baldolini - Matteoni Racing 1'46.451
15. Federico Sandi - Matteoni Racing 1'47.794
16. Ricard Cardus - Campetella Racing 1'49.119
1. Sergio Gadea - Team Aspar 1'47.782
2. Sandro Cortese - Caffe Latte 1'48.254
3. Bradley Smith - Polaris World 1'48.457
4. Simone Corsi - WRB Team 1'48.584
5. Gabor Talmacsi - Team Aspar 1'48.642
6. Esteve Rabat - Red Bull KTM 1'49.148
7. Mike Di Meglio – Team Ajo 1'49.217
8. Dominique Aegerter – Team Ajo 1'50.863
DORNA / CAPSIS International