Engine costs set to fall
The cost of Formula One is set to drop considerably from 2008 after the sport's rule makers imposed a freeze on engine development. FIA President Max Mosley announced plans for a freeze in May to try to control spiralling budgets.
greeted with huge opposition from Formula One's engine makers, who did not want to cease development. A compromise appeared to be reached with the so-called 'Indianapolis deal' where, in exchange for a less severe ban on development, the manufacturers would put money into a pot which would be used by an independent engine maker to build and supply identical engines to any independent team who wanted a low-cost option.
However, with no guarantee that the manufacturer would be independent, such as Meccachrome, who are owned by Renault team boss Flavio Briatore, the FIA has had enough of waiting.
In a letter sent to all teams at Hockenheim, Mosley said: "As we are already a fortnight beyond the original deadline and engine suppliers most urgently need certainty, it is now clear that we must stop discussing engine regulations and focus entirely on complying with those we already have. This means that the engines used in 2008 will be those in use on June 1 2006."
Pat Symonds, the engineering director for world champions Renault, said at the British Grand Prix last month that he believed some teams were spending as much as 80 million pounds on engine development every year. He added that a freeze would probably cap engine spending at 10 million pounds per year.