''We will try to solve the problems''
Toyota apologised Thursday for operational blunders at the Japanese Grand Prix held at its Fuji Speedway track at the weekend, where the event went ahead for the first time in 30 years.
A total of 7,000 spectators, who each paid
61,000 yen (525 dollars) for a reserved seat, could not clearly see the circuit because views from their section were obstructed. They were to be repaid with most of the fees.
A road leading to the venue collapsed in rain and temporarily stopped traffic for park-and-ride shuttle buses for spectators.
"We sincerely apologise for causing trouble to all of you," Toyota Vice President Akio Toyoda told reporters at a show featuring a new Toyota model. "We will try to solve the problems and make next year's race satisfactory," he said.
Toyota-owned Fuji Speedway has replaced Suzuka, Honda's home track, as the venue for the Japanese Grand Prix until 2008, after which the race will alternate between the two circuits.
Fuji Speedway, in the foothills of Mount Fuji, previously hosted the Grand Prix in 1976 and 1977. Suzuka then staged the race for 20 straight years until last year.